- Chest armor.
- Weapons and armor are not class locked, but certain classes are more efficient with certain types of weapons or armor.
- There are no stat requirements for equipping gear, but there are affiliation and level requirements.
- We have level requirements that are going to be applicable for particular types of gears. There's going to be affiliation requirements for certain types of gear as well; but from a stat perspective we decided not to go down that route; and the only reason for that is we don't want to shoehorn people into particular types of builds; and stats relate to those particular types of builds because there's a lot of versatility that exists within our class system. They don't have to play it per-se and that lends itself to a meta. It's like, oh you're a tank where you have to tank constitution and if you don't take constitution you don't get access to this really cool tank breastplate. You know stuff like that. It can feel a little too restrictive when you start to dictate from a stat perspective how a player must build their character. – Steven Sharif
- Specific and necessary crafting materials for higher tier items can only be obtained through the deconstruction of lower-tier items. This is designed to keep lower tier crafted gear relevant through progression and across expansions.
- A big component of gear usefulness or relevancy, as either you're progressing or as expansions come out or whatnot, is that there is a deconstruction method associated with gear; and that deconstruction can provide very specific and necessary crafting materials that can only be achieved through deconstruction of certain types of gears. And then additionally as we consider expansions and additional itemization paths and tiers going forward, all gear is going to remain relevant within the tiers that they exist. So from a progression standpoint, as you achieve access to different types of tiers, those gears are still going to have relevancy within that tier. – Steven Sharif
- Gear is acquired from a number of different sources, such as quests, drops, crafting, legendary bosses, guild-oriented tasks, favor, and unique currencies.
- Players may access their gear and other completed items in warehouses at any node, regardless of citizenship or housing ownership.
List of armor
Stats on gear
- Master crafters will be able to influence several (but not all) stats on their crafted items.
- There will also be methods of moving stat blocks around but this won't necessarily be an easy task.
- All gear will be able to be assigned any stat.
Crafters will be able to 'rejigger' stat blocks; and there will be a couple of other ways to move things around to create both the look and the stat block that you're looking for. It's not always going to be easy. There will be a lot of challenges involved with that. But the goal is to give you guys the option to customize your gear the way you want them to be. – Jeffrey Bard
Gear is broken down into Core Stats and Additional Stats.
- 3 Back slots.
- 3 Belt slots.
- 8 Armor slots.
- 5 Jewelry slots.
- 1 Undergarment slot is used to equip artisan gear.
- Previously it was stated there were 16 gear slots.
- Stat values will be predominately the same but may be able to be adjusted by crafters who are capable with that type of armor.
- The stat values on armor can include both damage dealing and damage mitigation stats.
- Certain armor types are going to have certain type of predominant stat values. So there's going to be certain waterfall stats and/or certain primary attributes that are available on certain armor types; and then if you want to have the one that's not more prominently available- those will be rare to get- you'll have to elicit the services of a crafter who's very capable within that particular type of armor in order to get the non-traditional stats and/or waterfalls available. So there's still the ability to get whatever on these but they're going to be more predetermined for certain types of stats and waterfalls. – Steven Sharif
- Set bonuses are granted to wearers of exclusively one "type" of armor, for example: all cloth, or all plate.
- There'll be certain types of set bonuses granted across specific full sets or partial sets of armor types. There will be a similar function in how damage is mitigated based on the type of armor you're wearing and how that relates to physical or magical incoming damage. So that's something to keep in mind. It's going to be situational what type of adversarial foe am I facing and what armor is the best against that to mitigate damage. – Steven Sharif
- The "type" of armor (cloth, leather, plate) a character is predominantly wearing is visible in their nameplate.
- You're going to have certain strengths and weaknesses of armor sets and those can be specced into by your opponents. For example, I might place some type of elemental enhancements on my weapon that horizontally changes my outgoing damage and that's going to reflect based on the opponent on my target opponent and what type of armor they have available to them to counter that. – Steven Sharif
- Itemization choice may potentially play into universal skill sets such as Dodge, Parry, and Active blocking.
- We're playing a little bit with the idea of these universal skill sets, such as dodge, parry, block, active blocking, stuff like that; and progression within those areas. There is something to be said I think for incorporating itemization choice as part of that system as well; and how it might affect that system. That's something that I think is going to be coming up in the pitch phase here shortly from design as we implement those universal skills. So you can look out in the future for more information on that. – Steven Sharif
- Light armor is more mobile than heavier armor.
- Light armor is geared towards magical damage mitigation.
- May provide some benefits from light armor or heavy armor.
- May also include benefits that aren't purely related to damage mitigation, such as improved critical chance.
- Heavy armor typically has more HP than lighter armor.
- Heavy armor is geared towards physical damage mitigation.
Class weapons and armor
- Weapons are intended to be somewhat agnostic in the sense that you can find a way for a weapon to be utilized by different classes. Not just the rogue is going to be able to use daggers. Because if you restrict equipment through that, it makes the economy more difficult to have sustainability across the market of items. – Steven Sharif
- Q: We had stated that we were going to allow people to use any class combination, which would be both your archetypes together, being able to use any weapon. Do we see problems that could occur with that, for instance like a bow tank, or an orb tank or things like- will there be some strangeness there, or are there problems that you first are foreseeing in the future?
- A: We're giving a lot of flexibility to the crafters in our game. They get to help define the stat block that a particular item, weapon, or gear has; and that stat block can be relevant to any particular class or archetype combination. So in that sense the idea is, no not to see any strangeness there or not to see any elements that would dissuade a person from that customization perspective. – Steven Sharif
Racial weapons and armor
- The customization of equipment per race is really focused on Armor sets not Weapon props. Weapon props will, from a model standpoint, will translate pretty one-to-one across the races. – Steven Sharif
- Racial appearance of gear is focused on Armor. Weapons will not change in appearance but will scale in size based on race.
- Let's say for example you have the Eagle set or something, right: The Eagle set has in art, it has a thematic design that's going to include certain attachments to the armor. It's going to include color palette and theme. It's going to have some aspects to it that define it as the Eagle set, right. When a Elf wears the Eagle set or when an Orc wears the Eagle set, you obviously have two different cultures there; and you don't want to stomp out that culture by assigning a de facto 'This is the Eagle set and this is how it looks on everybody.' What we want to have is cultural influences play a role in showing how that set looks. – Steven Sharif
- When you say, what if I'm an Orc but want to look like an Elf and I want my Eagle set to be the Elf representation? Well the issue becomes there that Orcs have a different organic model. You know, their body is different than that of the Elf. So, from a scope-creep standpoint, it's one thing to add different influences that represent the cultures that are donning the armor; it's another thing to adapt each influence as a matrix that can be worn pretty much by everything. From a scope perspective, that's a very difficult task for the character artists to tackle. So instead what we've done is, in order to facilitate a variety of cultural representation between the races but allow for the sharing of assets like different armor sets, we give different representations of those armor sets to each race. – Steven Sharif
- There will not be "oversized" weapons.
- Armor will not be overly sexual in appearance.
- I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a an immersive issue. – Steven Sharif
- Some armor and costumes will be more revealing than others, but there will not be nudity in the game.
Each race is getting its custom geo pieces, which then will share thematic components such as color palette, attachments, design filigree. Those types of things will get shared across the geo but generally you're going to see unique races with unique geo. – Steven Sharif
- Cosmetics can be used by all races but there may be slight variations to make them work with the body builds of each race.
- There are rules when applying cosmetics to specific items, unlike costumes, which don't have level restrictions.
- Cosmetic slots can be toggled on or off on their character by the player.
- A "default player appearance" may be automatically applied during sieges or other large scale battles to improve client-side performance.
- Cosmetics, whether purchased from the shop or earned in game, are an important component of MMORPGS I personally enjoy; and there's a lot of collectors out there who spend a great deal of time either in-game achieving these things or spend money purchasing them from the cosmetic only marketplace; and we don't want to demean or reduce that achievement or that expenditure. So it's going to be situational where the default appearance will be applied and can be activated. – Steven Sharif
- There will be hundreds of attachments available ranging from a small clasp to the front plate of a breast plate.
Outside of wanting to keep maybe some identity from a lore perspective; for example if you have like a white lion's suit of armor, you may not want that white lion suit of armor to be black or blue. So, it's possible. It depends on the costume itself. – Steven Sharif
Backer only armor skin
- Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means.
- Nothing in the cosmetic store will be pay to win.
Nothing in our shop will ever be pay to win as we believe this practice greatly hurts the MMORPG genre.
- Cash shop cosmetics will offer a diverse selection of unique looks.
I want to incentivize purchase in the cosmetic shop for sustainability of what expansions we have intended, since we are not a box cost. I want to incentivize purchase by offering limited items: limited time, limited quantity, so you have confidence that when you purchase them, they won't be offered later on in some other way. – Steven Sharif
- All cosmetic store items will be non-tradeable. There will be no gifting mechanism for cosmetic items.
- Q: How often will armor be part of an entire armor set with other cosmetically matching pieces versus unique armor pieces that don't match or go along with anything else in the game?
- A: There is a balance of both set pieces and non-set pieces and usually you're going to see at higher grades within a tier are going to be more predominantly set driven; and the lower interstitial power levels of the gear for that tier are the potentially bespoke pieces; and obviously those pieces are catered around a number of different interactions, such as ones you get from quests, ones that you get from drops, ones that you can craft, ones that you get from legendary bosses, ones that you get from guild-oriented tasks, or in-game favor and unique currencies. So there's different types of acquisition models and each of them has a spattering of either bespoke pieces or set-oriented pieces; and there are even varying levels of set pieces as well. So you might have a full eight piece set, or a three-piece set, or a five piece set, depending on where it lives within the tier. – Steven Sharif
- Players gain bonuses depending on the number and tier of pieces they have equipped.
- It will be possible to store and swap gear loadouts with a single button press when out of combat.
- Approximately 49 unique gear sets were obtainable in Alpha-1 from crafting, quests, drops and exploration. These were unique sets with different stats, but some may be similar in appearance.
- Certain set bonuses may trade off core gear stats.
- There are passive abilities that can be chosen to become more adept with certain set types.
- There will be viable non-set builds.
List of gear sets
- 2nd Sword Division
- Aegis of Fangs
- Ambitious Academic Armor
- Arcane Garbs
- Crystalized Blood
- Curiass of the Pride
- Dark Fortunes
- Dawnclaw Ward
- Dragon's Protection
- Eldritch Touched Regalia
- Guard of the Effulgent Moon
- Lava Forged
- Livery of the Setting Sun
- River Stalker Armor
- Runeweaver's Ensemble
- Sons of Fortune
- Soul Seeker
- Crafted items are best-in-slot in Ashes of Creation. Previously it was stated that crafted items will be on-par with best-in-slot items.
- Instanced content will contain scripted and difficult boss fights that drop gear, but the gear drops will not be best-in-slot. These can only be found in the open world.
We are very likely going to have a rune system and then we'll have the ability to sort of enchant weapons outside of that too... That's not always going to be like a vertical progression... Some of it's going to be giving up something to get something else; so maybe I do less physical damage but more magical damage, that thing. – Jeffrey Bard
- Progression in various PvP systems will unlock enchantment stones that grant temporary PvP-focused benefits to gear (via a socketing system). Performance is measured over six month PvP seasons.
It's not as though you're going to necessarily acquire these once and then you're set for your PvP enchantments, but instead you'll have to continually perform month after month in order to keep having those slotted enchantments. – Steven Sharif
- You don't really push a particular item's level requirement or the identity of that item. You can enhance it, you can add enchantments to it, but it's still the item it is. – Steven Sharif
- It is possible to store and swap gear loadouts with a single hotkey button press when out of combat.
- There will be a loadout system that you can use in your inventory to help manage those different types of set that you can customize. So you can do a simple hotkey press and be able to swap your armors, out of combat of course, with a single button click. – Steven Sharif
- Weapon swapping is possible while in combat but armor cannot be swapped while in combat.
- You may not swap armor when you're in combat, but you may swap your weapons; and there's obviously a few reasons of why this can be important: We're a itemization agnostic class design, so players equip with items that there are most necessary based on the adversary or the challenge that they're facing; and so we want that to be available for players to swap with weapons. – Steven Sharif
- Q: Will Ashes of Creation have player-to-player trading? Will there be anything stopping me from gifting a friend that's fresh to the game a bunch of in-game money to help them get on their feet quickly?
- A: There won't be anything to stop you from doing that. – Steven Sharif
- Player to player trading, interacting with vendors or NPCs, and the ability to access storage is disabled for corrupted players.
- The nature of player to player trading already introduces that in an open economy game... that is why we have measures to attempt and heat flag suspicious transactions, active gms and other honeypot systems/agents that will be active in discovering those types of cheaters. – Steven Sharif
Sharing gear with alts
- Storage space is shared between characters on the same account.
- Characters on the same account are able to share player housing, including furniture and freehold workstations.
- Cosmetics can be reassigned to characters within an account, with a potential cooldown period.
There is a small RNG chance of looting rare and legendary items or crafting materials from mobs based on the level, status and type of mob. This also applies to harvesting resources with a gathering profession.
- There is a much higher chance that materials and unique recipes are dropped that can be used to craft items of equitable value.
- Legendary equipment is only dropped by Legendary world bosses.
- Legendary equipment will have a roughly 6-12% improvement in base stats, subject to testing and balancing.
At each stage from Gatherer to Processor to Crafter you are required to have certain prerequisites before those elite types of materials can be essentially gathered, processed, or crafted. – Steven Sharif
- Gatherers must have high quality tools to gather rare resources.
- Processors must have high tier processing buildings on their freehold to produce rare materials.
- Crafters must also satisfy certain prerequisites to craft legendary equipment.
The amount of effort needed and interdependencies across the different types of players – between raiders and PvPers and crafters and even role players and the taverns and businesses: the processors and gatherers – all of those systems will likely have a component that lends toward creating or crafting that legendary item... We want to stay away from the highly RNGd system, and instead take our multiple progression paths that we are offering the players and put the construction components for achieving these legendary items within them so it encourages communities to work together because it's going to be difficult for just one person by themselves to gather everything. Not to say that they couldn't in an economic sense, by buying those components, that's possible. But achieving them from a time investment standpoint we want it to be considerably less RNG focussed. – Steven Sharif
- If the player character leaves the server then the item will become available for acquisition through whatever means it was acquired previously.
There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time.
It will be a very ornate and detailed weapon, more so than any other weapon or piece of equipment in the game. It will also include some awesome looking effects that won't too gaudy, they won't be too bright and shiny so that it doesn't look good, but they will be subtle and people will notice it and know wow that guy has this weapon. – Steven Sharif
Legendary items are not intended to be temporary.
The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary. – Steven Sharif
- Twitter - The Dünir are suited up for battle with these in-game unlockable tier five armor pieces!
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-05-31 (57:40).
- Steven Sharif Twitter.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-01-28 (56:12).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-02-09 (7:31).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-02-09 (15:01).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-07-28 (31:30).
- Twitter - Gear reveal.
- Wywiad, 2023-07-09 (1:38:34).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-19 (53:59).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-05-04 (45:37).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-06-25 (1:33:58).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-11-30 (54:29).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-11-17 (22:33).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-07-30 (1:16:05).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-07-28 (1:22:48).
- Wywiad, 2023-09-10 (47:13).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-11-30 (1:05:22).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (59:58).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-12-22 (1:15:01).
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (52:58).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-08-28 (1:14:54).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-02-24 (46:15).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-04-28 (1:08:55).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-09-30 (49:16).
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (40:50).
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (47:57).
- Wywiad, 2018-05-11 (16:32).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-05-31 (48:11).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-07-28 (24:54).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-06-30 (1:17:34).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-03-31 (1:17:32).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-18 (1:02:08).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-07-25 (53:08).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-08-28 (2:00:09).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-28 (49:35).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-07-18 (32:10).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-26 (53:10).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-18 (1:02:44).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-04-8 (AM) (32:15).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-10-16 (15:11).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-07-30 (1:07:03).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-02-09 (47:05).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-06-30 (55:31).
- Video, 2020-09-30 (2:44).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-09-30 (47:47).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2019-07-26 (54:06).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-03-31 (4:57).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-26 (44:11).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-26 (20:46).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (53:43).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-10-28 (1:41:06).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (55:17).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-05-29 (50:20).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-26 (19:51).
- Reddit Q&A, 2019-01-8.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-12-23 (1:34:07).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-09-24 (1:25:27).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-07-18 (54:56).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-07-28 (9:47).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-10-30 (1:13:22).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-24 (24:19).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-09-03 (48:56).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-05-31 (58:37).
- Wywiad, 2018-08-24 (5:28).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-11-30 (57:50).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-02-09 (50:29).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-07-25 (54:10).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2019-11-22 (1:08:05).
- Wywiad, 2018-10-20 (3:34:46).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-04-8 (PM) (18:48).
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter.
- Ashes of Creation cosmetic store.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-07-25 (1:53:46).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-04-8 (PM) (58:29).
- Wywiad, 2018-05-11 (32:36).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-06-30 (1:30:40).
- Video, 2023-01-27 (45:46).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-11-19 (40:53).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-04-30 (41:18).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-11-17 (56:07).
- Wywiad, 2023-07-09 (1:43:38).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-05-29 (1:33:11).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-06-30 (1:18:55).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-10 (14:45).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-03-31 (1:19:41).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-06-04 (1:11:19).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-06-04 (21:37).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (1:15:57).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-18 (14:22).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-18 (16:34).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-05-27 (1:20:00).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-26 (51:37).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-17 (58:55).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-04-28 (39:06).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-04-28 (51:16).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-09-30 (51:09).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-07-28 (34:32).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-18 (1:03:45).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2019-05-30 (1:15:58).
- Ashes of Creation - The visuals.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-15 (10:32).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-01-18 (46:56).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-02-24 (1:12:24).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-10-28 (24:28).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-04-30 (1:14:49).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-19 (1:12:37).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-11-17 (38:35).
- Massively OP, 2017-06-1
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-02-09 (20:40).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-15 (18:25).
- Podcast, 2017-05-04 (51:52).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-04-07 (1:04:16).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-04-30 (1:17:40).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-07-30 (1:14:33).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-15 (19:15).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-24 (32:07).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Wywiad, 2020-07-18 (1:00:15).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-19 (8:43).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-20 (21:57).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-04-8 (PM) (55:49).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-07-25 (46:08).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (1:02:06).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-03-31 (1:15:02).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-15 (38:08).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-07-09 (25:34).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-04-8 (PM) (51:49).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-19 (44:18).