We want to put things in the world that are dynamic; so there are reasons to keep going out and keep exploring.
- 1 Landmarks
- 2 Treasure hunting
- 3 Coastal nodes
- 4 Adaptive content
- 5 Easter eggs
- 6 Artwork
- 7 See also
- 8 References
Major visual landmarks. You can look all the way across the horizon have an idea where you're going or where to meet friends or where to meet just based on these huge landmarks in the world. – Mat Broome
- The more treasure a player finds the better maps they can create.
- Hints are given through rumor mills, interaction with different NPCs, and gaining access to potential dig sites.
- Treasure hunting will be a "way of life" rather than a profession.
- These nodes will have specific water oriented influences and abilities, services, questlines, that relate to the seas.
- Coastal nodes change the spawn tables of the nearby water content and can also trigger specific events.
- Harbors in coastal nodes will have quest lines that relate to the ocean and nearby islands.
- It may be possible to siege a coastal city by sea.
- Additional buildings will spawn.
- Additional mobs will spawn.
- Content difficulty will change.
- Dungeons will be unlocked when certain nodes advance to certain stages.
- Drop tables in areas and dungeons will be tied into the progression of certain areas.
Certain dungeons and other points of interest across the map will all be affected by the server’s node development. Some dungeons will only be unlocked if nodes are developed to certain stages. The storyline objectives for players inside dungeons will also be dependent on the story arc paths chosen through the node system. The drop tables in area and dungeons will also be tied into the progression of certain areas. For example, let’s say that the humans have developed a node in Region A, and a storyline has opened up that leads players to inspect the ruins (dungeon) of a nearby area. And let’s say that this node was developed in a scientific (crafting) zone… Well before the node developed, this dungeon was accessible… But now the dungeon has propagated new monster assets that include a drop table catering to a crafting emphasis because of the development of that scientific node. And perhaps, a new boss appears in different rooms of the dungeon that includes different adventure quest starts, like a mysterious item with a storyline that can only be progressed if a node develops to the metropolis stage in a certain region, across the world. Our system is so vast, when it comes to interconnectivity and how the world reacts to the players.
- Harbingers that exist on Verra as dungeons are where The Ancients are capable of pushing into the material plane. They can continue to do so under the guise of the effects of corruption as it spreads.
- These are sources of NPC events that players need to address before they grow out of hand.
- Players need to participate in these events to stop the spread of corruption and hold back the intrusion on the material plane.
- Corrupted areas do not confer corruption onto a player.
There are certain things that can happen, such as the spawning of dragons or hordes of zombies that are going to come out and attack those installations, those nodes, those points of interest; and... communities that don't respond to those in an effective way might see the disabling of certain services, the reduction of certain quest lines for particular organizations. The idea is to keep this as part of a believable living response from world, so those can get pretty significant the bad effects that can happen for the community. – Steven Sharif
Player driven narrative
The world of Verra will be the same on each server, but Nodes will develop differently. Different servers will have different narratives. Things that happen on one server may not happen on another.
We want as many people as possible to experience the main server Narrative. These will branch at different scales, but largely at the personal level. Where things change is at the Node level – different parts of the story will be unlocked based on where and when Nodes grow. Unlocking a part of the story in a certain way locks out progression of the story in a different way. You’ll see different antagonists, different NPCs, and different calls to action depending on what’s happening with the server at that time.
It kind of redefines what the players will experience in an MMORPG to come into a wilderness that is devoid of really any structure outside of what the community creates themselves; and then what can be created can be changed, if they want to experience a storyline that's been seen on another server, but you know you're fighting a dragon because you're near a mountain and the other server's fighting a Kraken because they're near the coast and you want to fight that Kraken because of its drop table. If you want to meta it or because you just want that under your belt: to be the server first to take out that Kraken and you have yet to develop the node there, you know it's incumbent upon you to manifest that in the game. – Steven Sharif
We're gonna keep track of the history of the world so that we can tell people the story up to the current day. A player who's brand new, who's come in at the six-month mark can take a look at each server, what each server has done, how each server has tackled the storyline; and they can decide for themselves what community they want to join; what version of the world that they want to take part in. – Jeffrey Bard
- Historia strony of narrative events and when they occurred.
- Locations and last known quantity of gatherable resources.
- Locations and inhabitants of new dungeons or POIs (points of Interest) that have spawned.
- Runic power stones for armor.
- Common armor and weapon recipes (level 25 and under).
Reports of information to the library may expire after a period of time (say one week). After which new reports will be required to update the existing information.
You'll get that shroud of war functionality for the week after a report but if it doesn't receive a follow-up report after that expiration period then it will not be updating real time. – Steven Sharif
There is a small RNG chance of looting rare and legendary items or crafting materials from mobs based on the level, status and type of mob. This also applies to harvesting resources with a gathering profession.
- There is a much higher chance that materials and unique recipes are dropped that can be used to craft items of equitable value.
- Legendary equipment is only dropped by Legendary world bosses.
- Legendary equipment will have a roughly 6-12% improvement in base stats, subject to testing and balancing.
At each stage from Gatherer to Processor to Crafter you are required to have certain prerequisites before those elite types of materials can be essentially gathered, processed, or crafted. – Steven Sharif
- Gatherers must have high quality tools to gather rare resources.
- Processors must have high tier processing buildings on their freehold to produce rare materials.
- Crafters must also satisfy certain prerequisites to craft legendary equipment.
The amount of effort needed and interdependencies across the different types of players – between raiders and PvPers and crafters and even role players and the taverns and businesses: the processors and gatherers – all of those systems will likely have a component that lends toward creating or crafting that legendary item... We want to stay away from the highly RNGd system, and instead take our multiple progression paths that we are offering the players and put the construction components for achieving these legendary items within them so it encourages communities to work together because it's going to be difficult for just one person by themselves to gather everything. Not to say that they couldn't in an economic sense, by buying those components, that's possible. But achieving them from a time investment standpoint we want it to be considerably less RNG focussed. – Steven Sharif
There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time.
It will be a very ornate and detailed weapon, more so than any other weapon or piece of equipment in the game. It will also include some awesome looking effects that won't too gaudy, you know they won't be too bright and shiny so that it doesn't look good, but they will be subtle and people will notice it and know wow that guy has this weapon. – Steven Sharif
Legendary items are not intended to be temporary.
The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary. – Steven Sharif
Alpha-1 easter eggs
- The Alpha island starting area quest giver Sergeant Landry is referred to as an "easter egg throwback to the original".
Alpha-0 easter eggs
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse easter eggs
- Livestream, 2017-11-17 (36:22).
- Livestream, 2018-07-09 (1:00:00).
- Livestream, 2018-08-17 (10:01).
- Livestream, 2017-07-18 (53:52).
- Livestream, 2018-05-04 (39:05).
- Livestream, 2018-12-06 (40:46).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (36:43).
- Livestream, 2018-08-17 (58:53).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (1:01:28).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (48:05).
- Livestream, 2017-05-19 (37:51).
- Livestream, 2017-05-17 (30:53).
- Kickstarter - We Just Broke $1,500,000!
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (50:33).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (22:53).
- Livestream, 2017-11-17 (18:29).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (50:03).
- Livestream, 2020-11-08 (12:47).
- Livestream, 2021-06-25 (1:13:30).
- Livestream, 2021-06-25 (1:32:24).
- Livestream, 2017-05-19 (37:03).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Livestream, 2017-05-22 (28:02).
- Interview, 2018-04-20 (9:20).
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (27:34).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (1:00:15).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (8:43).
- Interview, 2020-07-20 (21:57).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (55:49).
- Livestream, 2020-07-25 (46:08).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (1:02:06).
- Livestream, 2017-05-19 (44:18).
- Livestream, 2017-05-15 (38:08).
- Livestream, 2018-07-09 (25:34).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Ashes of Creation Twitter, April 4,2021.
- Video, 2021-02-26 (11:03).
- Livestream, 2020-05-29 (36:18).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (17:46).
- Livestream, 2017-11-17 (17:34).
- Livestream, 2017-12-15 (1:34:41).
- Livestream, 2018-10-31 (45:01).