- Open world dungeons will be populated to facilitate multiple groups within the dungeon.
- Instanced dungeons will also be present and will cater for solo and group questlines.
There are going to be smaller, simpler, linear dungeons. There's going to be bigger, more complex, nonlinear dungeons. So, It's a little bit of both. We want the environment to be a character. In order for the environment to be a character, these places need to be interesting and there needs to be a dynamicism to them. – Jeffrey Bard
Dungeon difficulty will increase the further a player ventures into the dungeon.
- Mobs and mob mechanics will become more difficult.
- Terrain and environmental dangers will increase.
- 1 Dungeon locations
- 2 Dungeon scale
- 3 Bosses
- 4 Loot
- 5 Dungeon content
- 6 Dungeon difficulty
- 7 Group sizes
- 8 Leader boards
- 9 Videos
- 10 Artwork
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- As nodes advance and expand they will influence nearby points-of-interest such as dungeon bosses, regional bosses and Raid bosses.
- The difficulty level and loot tables of these encounters will change based on this influence.
List of notable dungeons
- Breaker's Penitentiary
- Cerulean Grotto
- Deepheart Cove
- Drythorne Gulch
- Dünzenkell Crypt
- Fallow's Hold
- Hungering Maw
- Illwind Ruins
- Manaspring Hollow
- Ruins of Restless Spirits
- Sporelight Caverns
- The Underroost
- Underrealm Entrance
- Volcano dungeon
- Massive caverns and open world spaces.
- Places to suit larger and smaller commitments.
- Where people with 30 minutes can participate.
- Dungeons are vast and have room for multiple groups.
List of dungeon bosses
- The Ancients and The Others used the Harbingers to travel to Verra, thus beginning the Apocalypse.
- The Ancients flowed out of the conduits that opened at the center of the Harbingers and began conquering Verra.
- Harbingers that exist on Verra as dungeons are where the Ancients are capable of pushing into the material plane. They can continue to do so under the guise of the effects of corruption as it spreads.
The worst thing that the Harbingers brought was not the Others, but the corruption that they spread. It twists and distorts everything it touches. It whispers in the ears of men, and guides their hands toward terrible ends. There does not seem a means to stop it - our prayers do nothing, our spells are ineffectual. The awful truth is that the Others could simply watch as we burned Verra to ash ourselves.
- The first party to obtain a tag (on a mob or boss) will gain an approximately 5-10% edge over competing parties in terms of the total damage done when determining looting rights.
- These numbers will be balanced based on testing.
- At the end of the fight, the party with the highest damage done, including first tagging bonus, will be granted looting rights.
- We have a blended approach of damage done and a tag benefit. So if you tag the boss first, or you tag the loot- whatever the loot target is first- you're gonna get a benefit in the damage overall determination. So if you need to have 51% of damage done in order to qualify your raid, or the plurality of damage done if there's even three or four raids, then tagging first might give you a five or ten percent edge. We'll play with that number- balance it based on testing, but generally that's our approach in competing loot rights – Steven Sharif
- Q: If looting rights are based on a blended tag and damage done system, will there be any mechanics in place to ensure roles like tanks and healers have an equal shot even when they haven't dealt as much damage?
- A: That's the reason for the blended approach. The reason that we're doing a hybrid system between tag and damage done is for the purposes of those classes who may not be as DPS oriented as other classes. The tag system- all classes are going to have a sprinkling of immediate effects- of instantaneous casts and they can use that to tag a target, and that'll give them a modifier on the looting rights: So plus 10 or plus 15 will balance that, but it'll give them plus 10 to 15 on overall damage done if they tag the target and then their damage will make up the remainder of that percentage completion. So if I do 50 damage to a target but someone else has the tag I'm not going to be able to claim that looting right. They'll have done the other 50 plus 10 or 15. – Steven Sharif
- If you want to be able to get those mats from the boss, they're just not going to drop for anybody. They will only drop for a master gatherer who is capable of extracting those resources from the creature itself... The reason why we say there's a lot of interdependencies between the crafters of the world and the raiders of the world and our PvPers of the world is because we don't want to house the capability to attain these things all within the adventuring class. We want there to be an influence necessary from the craftsmen's guild to come in to either come and participate and spoil the boss and gather the goods or something along those lines. – Steven Sharif
Loot tables (drop tables) of world bosses or dungeon bosses have a small RNG chance of dropping gear (completed items). Monsters drop hunting certificates, Items and crafting materials rather than gold.
- There is a much higher chance that materials and unique recipes are dropped that can be used to craft items of equitable value.
- There is a small RNG chance of looting rare and legendary items or crafting materials from mobs based on the level, status and type of mob. This also applies to harvesting resources with a gathering profession.
- Crafted gear is the best gear in Ashes of Creation.
- Legendary equipment is only dropped by Legendary world bosses.
- Stats on dropped items will vary based on the rarity of the item.
- Loot tables are disabled for player controlled monsters.
- Experience debt decreases the drop rate percentages from monsters.
- Loot tables will likely not be affected by weather conditions. This was previously listed as a possible effect.
Hunting certificates is a term that covers items, such as Pelts that house the value of a mob's death. These certificates are specific to an economic region. These are intended as an alternative mechanic to acquire gold.
- A wolf is not going to be carrying a sack of gold. It may instead drop "pelts" that can be traded for gold.
- Hunting certificates will also drop on a character's death.
- Hunting certificates can be traded with hunter NPCs within nodes.
- The level of the node and the distance of the node from the drop will determine the value of the certificate. Certificates redeemed from distant economic regions via the caravan system will provide higher returns (4 to 5 times greater in some cases) than certificates collected from the same region.
- The value of the certificates are also calculated (by the world manager algorithm) based on the volume of certificates being redeemed in each region.
- Hunting certificates may also be used to pay housing taxes and citizen dues.
- Hunting certificates can also be stored within node warehouses.
- Hunting certificates are not intended as crafting materials.
- Additional buildings will spawn.
- Additional mobs will spawn.
- Content difficulty will change.
- Dungeons will be unlocked when certain nodes advance to certain stages.
- Drop tables in areas and dungeons will be tied into the progression of certain areas.
- POI events are events that relate to specific points-of-interest (POI).
Certain dungeons and other points of interest across the map will all be affected by the server’s node development. Some dungeons will only be unlocked if nodes are developed to certain stages. The storyline objectives for players inside dungeons will also be dependent on the story arc paths chosen through the node system. The drop tables in area and dungeons will also be tied into the progression of certain areas. For example, let’s say that the humans have developed a node in Region A, and a storyline has opened up that leads players to inspect the ruins (dungeon) of a nearby area. And let’s say that this node was developed in a scientific (crafting) zone… Well before the node developed, this dungeon was accessible… But now the dungeon has propagated new monster assets that include a drop table catering to a crafting emphasis because of the development of that scientific node. And perhaps, a new boss appears in different rooms of the dungeon that includes different adventure quest starts, like a mysterious item with a storyline that can only be progressed if a node develops to the metropolis stage in a certain region, across the world. Our system is so vast, when it comes to interconnectivity and how the world reacts to the players.
- Jumping puzzles are present in early Alpha-1 dungeon gameplay footage.
- Jumping puzzles were present in the Alpha-0 Dünheim dungeon.
- Higher performance in earlier phases will increase the difficulty of subsequent phases of the encounter.
- The higher the difficulty, the better the loot tables will be.
- Bosses and mobs will not auto-scale based on group size.
- Q: How challenging will raid boss mechanics be given the given that players may need to simultaneously fight other players while also fighting the boss?
- A: It depends. The great thing about our encounter system is that it has a wide scalability from encounters that some might consider easy given their composition to encounters that some might consider impossible until they get their gear level to a certain stage. The level of interaction with other players is really predicated on the encounter itself. We may have some encounters that are in instances although the predominant portion of those will be in the open world, in which case they do have the potential being contested; and these encounters, especially the big ones that might land in contention, are giving some of the best-in-slot gear you can get in the game. So it's important that they are contested because it is a significant victory point; and one of our core pillars is risk versus reward: and the higher that risk the higher that reward should be. So those two things seem fitting and then in addition we do have the concept of winners and losers. Not everybody in Ashes of Creation is going to be a winner; and that sucks if you're not I guess, but there is opportunity for you to continue to excel and become one. But it gives much more meaning to an achievement when not everybody gets the achievement. That's our philosophy. – Steven Sharif
There will be a mentorship program where upper-level players are able to benefit from partying and/or helping lower level players; and getting them situated in the game.
- Certain node buildings and organizations offer quests that can be initiated by a mentor to assist new players. Rewards are offered to both the mentor and the mentee upon completion.
There will be activities that are present for higher level players to mentor lower level players. Let's say you have a friend who joins later on and you still want to do things with them, there will be things to do. Will he be able to enter a dungeon of your level and participate? No, because we don't want to inflate or deflate characters and manipulate that type of skill or power. We want that to be something that makes sense for them in a progression standpoint. – Steven Sharif
The mentorship program provides individual quests that can be initiated by the mentor based off of what node that they are part of. So these are like quests that are determined by either certain buildings and/or organizations or the mayor; and there are specific ones that are available for mentors to provide mentees; and they can also participate in some of those quest lines as well: Whether that be leading your mentee through a dungeon or providing a location for them to arrive with you at, or escort quests for the NPC caravans. These types of things, when done together with your mentor, will provide benefits both for the mentor and the mentee as well, so you're incentivized to participate with new players. – Steven Sharif
- The idea behind an 8-person group is to allow us to really amplify party roles, and to create a need for each of the archetypes in every party.
- Raids will have 40 man groups.
- Content will be tailored for 40, 16 and 8 person group sizes.
- Arenas will have 1 man, 3 man, 5 man and possibly 20 man Free-For-All (Deathmatch) group sizes.
- Castle sieges are expected to have at minimum 250x250 players to be on a single battlefield, with the possibility of increasing this to 500x500 over time.
Encounters are designed to have meaning in terms of how boss skills and abilities relate to group compositions, tactics and strategies. Zerging is not experiencing content. There are different ways to make a fight more difficult for larger sized groups without relying solely on stat buffs or making the boss a "damage sponge".
- Raid and dungeon bosses have specific mechanics and abilities that players need to learn and react to. Zergs that are not aware of these mechanics or react to them appropriately will be wiped.
- There may be environmental hazards and AoE effects that cause more damage based on the number of players present.
- There is a give-and-take for guilds that want to see a larger number of members as opposed to a more focused group that may be a part of an alliance.
We're very cognizant of the fact that we don't want to see zerging be a mechanic that's utilized by guilds to accomplish content or just to steamroll over sieges... There are specific mechanics that we are working on that will be seen through the testing phases that relate to a degree of understanding of certain systems that can't just be overrun with numbers. – Steven Sharif
The best way that I found in games I played previously to take down a zerg is to cause drama from within... It's that conflict inside of the politicking that happens in that big organization. If we provide opportunities for division to occur then it also provides stability to keep a server healthy away from that zerg mentality also... If we approach the castle siege and we've destroyed the walls and we're in the throne room and we're about to cast on the penultimate thing and I at this time am just so excited from what's happening that I'm like "screw it I'm gonna go for it". It's gonna be mine. I'm gonna take the taxes for the next month. I'm gonna take all the gear from the castle. I'm gonna take everything... We kind of want that political intrigue to be present in the game. – Steven Sharif
Objective-based game play helps to balance the zerg mentality.
I always feel that if you balance based on groups that in your balance focus is to incorporate features that play well from a player versus player perspective as well as a player versus environment perspective: Having support classes, having DPS and tanks that can obstruct movement and/or create you know bottlenecks on the field and stuff like that. I think a well-rounded raid it will perform better against a non well-rounded raid, however then you incorporate the second aspect of numbers; and that's where again mobility, organization, leadership tactics. Having objectives in gameplay that make those important helps to balance the zerg mentality that a lot of guilds can tend to have. – Steven Sharif
- There may be instanced locations within castle and node sieges where specific groups can participate in certain objective-based waypoints.
Zerging is always a problem in a lot of these MMORPGs where you really can't control the number of participants in certain open-world systems; and in that sense instancing is a great tool that designers can sometimes use to curate a particular number of participants that you want. But the predominant amount of content within Ashes of Creation, over 80% of which is is open-world content, so instancing is very limited. – Steven Sharif
- 2016-12-15 Video - Dungeons First Look - Water Temple
- 2018-02-09 Livestream
- 2018-02-24 Video - Alpha-0 Dünheim Dungeon Lore
2021-01-30 2020-05-28 2020-03-28 2018-08-10 2018-02-28 2018-01-19
- Twitter - The way is shut! Trapped in this dwarven crypt.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-01-18 (16:34).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-02-09 (4:42).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-06-01 (39:21).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-22 (20:59).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-09-27 (43:21).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-03-28 (1:48:36).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-04-30 (1:32:06).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (39:08).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-07-25 (46:08).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-17 (30:53).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-03-28 (1:53:18).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-19 (23:00).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-02-09 (45:30).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-03-28 (1:58:18).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-11-08 (12:40).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-11-08 (12:47).
- Wywiad, 2021-06-13 (11:15).
- Dillias diary.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-11-08 (0:00:00).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-11-08 (11:48).
- Week 1, entry 1.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-03-31 (1:23:06).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-07-25 (1:24:56).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-06-30 (1:16:22).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:44:54).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-19 (8:43).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Wywiad, 2020-07-18 (27:11).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-24 (44:14).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-20 (21:57).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-04-8 (PM) (55:49).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-18 (1:00:15).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-06-30 (1:18:55).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-12-22 (1:15:01).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-03 (35:25).
- Ashes of Creation Forums - Former Lineage 2 PvP'er wanting to discuss PvP loopholes.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-05-27 (1:14:46).
- Video, 2022-05-27 (2:21).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-19 (1:08:22).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-10-29 (1:06:31).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, 2017-05-05 (43:05).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (50:33).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (22:53).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-11-17 (36:22).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-11-17 (18:29).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-04-29 (40:21).
- Video, 2020-05-31 (26:42).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-07-28 (39:49).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2018-02-09 (10:42).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-19 (14:51).
- Wywiad, 2021-06-13 (22:20).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-19 (17:12).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-05-27 (1:20:35).
- Wywiad, 2021-06-13 (24:14).
- Video, 2018-04-05 (40:08).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-09-30 (1:07:22).
- Wywiad, 2018-08-24 (8:52).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-09-30 (2:40).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-11-30 (1:20:25).
- Group dynamics blog.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-09 (34:38).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-26 (48:12).
- Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-05 (23:26).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-19 (25:18).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-11-30 (1:16:09).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-22 (57:37).
- Wywiad, 2018-05-11 (44:20).
- Wywiad, 2018-08-08 (11:52).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-01-28 (17:50).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-07-18 (58:50).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-15 (44:10).