- Axes (One and two handed).
- Maces (One and two handed).
- Potion launchers.
- Swords/Rapiers (One and two handed).
We have level requirements that are going to be applicable for particular types of gears. There's going to be affiliation requirements for certain types of gear as well; but from a stat perspective we decided not to go down that route; and the only reason for that is we don't want to shoehorn people into particular types of builds; and stats relate to those particular types of builds because there's a lot of versatility that exists within our class system. They don't have to play it per-se and that kind of lends itself to a meta. It's like, oh you're a tank where you have to tank constitution and if you don't take constitution you don't get access to this really cool tank breastplate. You know stuff like that. It can feel a little too restrictive when you start to dictate from a stat perspective how a player must build their character. – Steven Sharif
- Specific and necessary crafting materials for higher tier items can only be obtained through the deconstruction of lower-tier items. The is designed to keep lower tier crafted gear relevant through progression and across expansions.
A big component of gear usefulness or relevancy, as either you're progressing or as expansions come out or whatnot, is that there is a deconstruction method associated with gear; and that deconstruction can provide very specific and necessary crafting materials that can only be achieved through deconstruction of certain types of gears. And then additionally as we consider expansions and additional itemization paths and tiers going forward, all gear is going to remain relevant within the tiers that they exist. So from a progression standpoint, as you achieve access to different types of tiers, those gears are still going to have relevancy within that tier. – Steven Sharif
- 1 List of weapons
- 2 Weapon skill tree
- 3 Weapon targeting
- 4 Class weapons and armor
- 5 Racial weapons and armor
- 6 Gear slots
- 7 Guns and gunpowder
- 8 Weapon progression
- 9 Item rarities
- 10 Gear sets
- 11 Gear appearance
- 12 Summoned weapons
- 13 Artwork
- 14 See also
- 15 References
List of weapons
Weapon skill tree
A weapon use combo system (also referred to as Combo system, Combat skills, and Combat tree) is utilized instead of a traditional auto-attack ability in Ashes of Creation. No traditional auto-attack system is present in Alpha-1.
- Players can spec into weapon abilities on their combat skill tree, based on their preferred weapon classes (weapon types/weapon groups) and the grade of the weapon.
- The more skill points that are allocated to the combat skill tree, the greater a player's weapon familiarity. This in turn unlocks various proc effects on weapon use that can offer synergy with other active skills. This synergy also applies to active skills from other characters.
- Let's say a dagger has some slashing effects that bleed the target or that cripple the target... Every time you attack you have a chance to proc that effect. That effect then can synergize with what your active skills tree has available to it. So let's say your backstab deals 30 additional damage to a bleeding target. If you attack with your main weapon first and the target gets the bleed proc off and you do your backstab skill then you're synergizing your effects. – Steven Sharif
- Let's say backstab that you can apply to deals damage to the target and it'll have a conditional modifier on that damage if you're behind the target, and it'll have a conditional modifier deal additional 50 damage if the target is under a bleed effect. So you want to synergize essentially your weapon proc conditions with your active skills so that you're timing your certain active skills appropriately with the status conditions that the target has taken. – Steven Sharif
- Using a skill/ability will in general reset the combo.
- The developers are considering specific abilities might be able to be used without resetting the combo system.
- The combo system will not have the quicktime event that was seen at PAX West 2017.
It acts similar in the sense of you know the core loop of what an auto attack is so to speak; where you know typically your other skills have a cooldown period, they have a rotation or whatever: Our combo system is a repeatable you know skill effect that you can continually attack with but it's a little bit more involved than what a traditional auto attack is; and it has components from a from an advancement standpoint when it comes to the types of procs that your weapon can have during that combo system... It's not going to have the quick time event that you know you guys saw early on in PAX and gave great feedback on, but it is going to have development with regards to the power of the weapon the type of weapon you're using, the additional proc effects that you can skill into: Those types of things are going to make it a little bit more complex of a system capture. – Steven Sharif
Classes of weapons
- Blunt weapons
- Slashing weapons
- Piercing weapons
Weapon use combo system status
- The weapon use ability that was originally shown at PAX West 2017 was reduced to a basic form in Alpha-0.
- The new combo system will not have the quicktime event that was seen in PAX West 2017.
- This is referred to as Combo system, Combat skills, and Combat tree in Alpha-1 preview and early testing.
- A toggle button (default Z, but can be re-bound to another key) allows the player to switch between action and tab targeted combat modes.
- The action mode utilizes a targeting reticle and is very close to a third-person action game.
- The player does not have to be in reticle mode to use an action combat ability.
- If you use an action combat ability that's going to be directional focused, you do not have to be in reticle mode to use that. It will fire where that reticle would be. So if you play by feel and you're in tab target camera mode, you can still utilize your action-oriented skills and abilities. – Steven Sharif
- The reticle will highlight/change color (to red) to indicate if the current target is able to be hit with the currently prepared skill.
- Action combat abilities will not have a lock-on feature but pressing Q while in action mode will lock on to the current target to enable the use of tab-oriented skills in action mode.
- Action combat abilities will not have a lock-on feature so to speak. Some of those are going to be skill shot only. However because you can have a mix and match of tab abilities that require a target, you will be able to target lock in action mode as well. Right now that's delegated to the Q key as default, but you can obviously set that up you could put it on you know your left mouse button, or you could put it wherever you want; and when your reticle hovers over a target, it rapidly swaps your target ability and when you press your target lock it will then lock that target; and if you have tab-oriented skills, you can use your tab oriented skills and they will be used against that target. – Steven Sharif
- Holding Tab while in action mode will alternate between targets.
- Pressing right-click while in action mode will switch to tab mode for the currently highlighted target.
- The action camera is tied to the to player's reticle. There will likely be a hotkey that when held down will allow free camera movement.
- In future the user will have the ability to choose from different reticle appearances.
- The tab mode (MMO mode) facilitates tab targeted combat. A tab-targeted ability requires a target in order to utilize that skill.
- Targeting modes are able to be achieved through choice of skills/abilities.
Skill progressions, skill point allocation is determined by the player. The player will be able to choose either more tab-target oriented skills or more action-based skills and customize their playable experience to what accommodates their preference. From a balancing standpoint for us developers, we need to make sure that certain abilities house certain functions so that there's a balance between skill shots and tab-target abilities. – Steven Sharif
- Charge up time.
- CC effects.
- Energy consumption.
- Cost to spec.
- Attack range will likely remain the same; as it is driven by the weapon or skill itself.
As an example: Let's say you're playing a ranged class. You could have an action-oriented power shot in your skill tree or you could have a single target power shot that ramps up and does more damage.  – Steven Sharif
For the purposes of balance, certain skill types will be either tab or action oriented skills. For example:
- Hard CCs may be housed in action oriented skills because they are skill shots that are more difficult to land.
- Softer CC's would be housed in tab-targeted abilities.
Forward attack cone (cleaving)
Class weapons and armor
Weapons are intended to be somewhat agnostic in the sense that you can find a way for a weapon to be utilized by different classes. Not just the rogue is going to be able to use daggers. Because if you restrict equipment through that, it makes the economy more difficult to have sustainability across the market of items. – Steven Sharif
Racial weapons and armor
The customization of equipment per race is really focused on Armor sets not Weapon props. Weapon props will, from a model standpoint, will translate pretty one-to-one across the races. – Steven Sharif
Let's say for example you have the Eagle set or something, right: The Eagle set has in art, it has a thematic design that's going to include certain attachments to the armor. It's going to include color palette and theme. It's going to have some aspects to it that define it as the Eagle set, right. When a Elf wears the Eagle set or when an Orc wears the Eagle set, you obviously have two different cultures there; and you don't want to stomp out that culture by assigning a de facto 'This is the Eagle set and this is how it looks on everybody.' What we want to have is cultural influences play a role in showing how that set looks. – Steven Sharif
When you say, what if I'm an Orc but want to look like an Elf and I want my Eagle set to be the Elf representation? Well the issue becomes there that you know Orcs have a different organic model. You know, their body is different than that of the Elf. So, from a scope-creep standpoint, it's one thing to add different influences that represent the cultures that are donning the armor; it's another thing to adapt each influence as a matrix that can be worn pretty much by everything. From a scope perspective, that's a very difficult task for the character artists to kind of tackle. So instead what we've done is, in order to facilitate a variety of cultural representation between the races but allow for the sharing of assets like different armor sets, we give different representations of those armor sets to each race. – Steven Sharif
Items on back and belt
Items attached to a character's back or belt represent items they are in possession of. Players can set the appearance priority for the items they wish to show. Only one item can show at a time, and that is determined by player choice.
A big component of the MMORPG that - half of that you know acronym is RPG role-playing game. And in order to role-play you need to be able to represent kind of what your character is doing in that world and you know part of what animation is doing is creating these sockets on the let's say the belt or the back that you know can plug in certain types of props or items that are created by the character team, like Carson, you know might be a scroll tube, it might be a potion, it might be whatever: Those players will have the ability as we've discussed in the past will have the ability to select what they want to be represented in those sockets and then animation will make sure that jibe well in movement. – Steven Sharif
- Characters performing ranged abilities will switch to the ranged weapon, then can switch back to the melee weapon and shield or two-handed melee weapon.
- The weapon held in the main hand slot determines the active weapon ability.
Do I want my main hand to be my ranged weapon or do I want my main hand to be my melee weapon with regards to skill usage. For example, with the Ranger, if you have a range skill it'll automatically swap regardless of what your main weapon hand is, but for the combat ability for the "Auto Attack" feature it would be your chosen weapon. – Steven Sharif
- The cooldown will be in the range of a few seconds.
For the MMORPG we want there to be some time between damage received or damage done before you can swap your weapon. It's not going to be substantial. It will maybe be a few seconds. – Steven Sharif
Guns and gunpowder
I previously said there was not going to be gunpowder in Ashes. What there will be is something very similar to gunpowder but has a more arcane nature to it. It's not necessarily going to be explainable through the conventional means of chemistry, metallurgy, and physics and what not, but rather the Essence is the core component of many types of magic, one of which is obviously going to be evocation type magic; and that evocation can have some explosive tendencies. – Steven Sharif
As we said in the past, were not really about that black powder life. Instead it's really going to be focused on the arcane arts: The elements; the use of radiance and darkness; and then those being employed in larger weaponry, such as the type of siege weaponry between ship battles as well as those and sieges. A potion launcher is an example of the arcane energies that can be mastered in order to facilitate these highly destructive alchemical blends that can be created. – Steven Sharif
- The weapon use combo system determines special effects that proc based on weapon progression.
- Ancillary effects proc based on enchantment types.
- Gear enhancements (power stones) can be applied to add elemental or energy types of damage.
- A skill tree is used to grant effects: making them better or branching off into different directions.
- Passive skills will enable players to work toward mastery of a weapon.
- Dual wielding weapons will have its own progression based on the weapon types being dual wielded.
- Weapon proficiency (based on length of use of a weapon) is not a planned feature.
- Q: Are weapons balanced towards a proficiency system (i.e. the longer I use a sword, the better my damage will be), or will it be a normal RPG stat system with no long-term scaling?
- A: We will not be using a proficiency system as described, but players will have passives available in their skill tree that will increase effectiveness of certain weapons. Becoming a master of swords will be something that is possible, just not in that particular manner. – Sarah Flanagan
Ashes of Creation is all about providing many progression paths... The reason why we don't like the term endgame is because with the amount of progression that's available with the amount of diversity and player agency that impacts the world... We kind of want the weapon system [to] add an element of that as well... You can determine special effects that proc from currently the combo system; you can determine ancillary effects that proc based on enchantment types; you can power stone weapons to add different either elemental types of damage and/or energy that kind of play rock-paper-scissor with player defenses ... and then you can skill tree out how those effects that are granted ... you can make them better you can branch them off into a different direction. – Steven Sharif
We are very likely going to have a rune system and then we'll have the ability to sort of enchant weapons outside of that too... That's not always going to be like a vertical progression... Some of it's going to be giving up something to get something else; so maybe I do less physical damage but more magical damage, that kind of thing. – Jeffrey Bard
- Progression in various PvP systems will unlock enchantment stones that grant temporary PvP-focused benefits to gear (via a socketing system). Performance is measured over six month PvP seasons.
It's not as though you're going to necessarily acquire these once and then you're set for your PvP enchantments, but instead you'll have to continually perform month after month in order to keep having those slotted enchantments. – Steven Sharif
- Vertical enchantments are a power progression for a crafted item. More damage or mitigations, added effects or bonuses. Vertical enchantments include risks. 
When it comes to over-enchanting things, what we're going to do likely is have a safety- and this is something obviously it needs to be tested- but we're going to have a safety period of enchantment you know like in Lineage 2 I think you could enchant plus four or something. And so we're gonna have a similar system where you can enchant safely and then when you start to take risks, that percentage of potentially damaging your item either through the decay system or completely disabling it through the destruction system will be a risk that's present. – Steven Sharif
- Horizontal enchantments are more situational. For example: I'd like my sword to do force damage instead of holy damage because the monsters I tend to fight are incorporeal.
- You don't really push a particular item's level requirement or the identity of that item. You can enhance it, you can add enchantments to it, but it's still the item it is. – Steven Sharif
Power creep is a balance issue... When it comes to gear progression specifically, the idea is to create an open market that is not heavily dependent on soulbound items; and having many item sinks and gold sinks within that economy that allows for the potential degradation and loss of assets within that closed economy; and not introduce items from the market that companies put in from a pay-to-win perspective or from a pay-to-convenience perspective that undermines the economy that players have built. That is a huge mistake that companies have made in the past and that lends to the imbalancing of what designers maybe have actually balanced well. – Steven Sharif
There is a small RNG chance of looting rare and legendary items or crafting materials from mobs based on the level, status and type of mob. This also applies to harvesting resources with a gathering profession.
- There is a much higher chance that materials and unique recipes are dropped that can be used to craft items of equitable value.
- Legendary equipment is only dropped by Legendary world bosses.
- Legendary equipment will have a roughly 6-12% improvement in base stats, subject to testing and balancing.
At each stage from Gatherer to Processor to Crafter you are required to have certain prerequisites before those elite types of materials can be essentially gathered, processed, or crafted. – Steven Sharif
- Gatherers must have high quality tools to gather rare resources.
- Processors must have high tier processing buildings on their freehold to produce rare materials.
- Crafters must also satisfy certain prerequisites to craft legendary equipment.
The amount of effort needed and interdependencies across the different types of players – between raiders and PvPers and crafters and even role players and the taverns and businesses: the processors and gatherers – all of those systems will likely have a component that lends toward creating or crafting that legendary item... We want to stay away from the highly RNGd system, and instead take our multiple progression paths that we are offering the players and put the construction components for achieving these legendary items within them so it encourages communities to work together because it's going to be difficult for just one person by themselves to gather everything. Not to say that they couldn't in an economic sense, by buying those components, that's possible. But achieving them from a time investment standpoint we want it to be considerably less RNG focussed. – Steven Sharif
There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time.
It will be a very ornate and detailed weapon, more so than any other weapon or piece of equipment in the game. It will also include some awesome looking effects that won't too gaudy, you know they won't be too bright and shiny so that it doesn't look good, but they will be subtle and people will notice it and know wow that guy has this weapon. – Steven Sharif
Legendary items are not intended to be temporary.
The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary. – Steven Sharif
- Different tiers of gear are accessible based on a character's level.
- Players gain bonuses depending on the number of pieces of the set they have equipped.
- There are passive abilities that can be chosen to become more adept with certain set types.
- There will be viable non-set builds.
- Racial appearance of gear sets is tied to the character model of that race.
Best in slot weapons
I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of an immersive issue. – Steven Sharif
- Cosmetics can be used by all races but there may be slight variations to make them work with the body builds of each race.
- There are rules when applying cosmetics to specific items, unlike costumes, which don't have level restrictions.
- Cosmetic slots can be toggled on or off by the player.
- A "default player appearance" may be automatically applied during sieges or other large scale battles to improve client-side performance.
Kickstarter weapon skins
- Usable on all types of weapons.
- Include subtle and tasteful glow/particle effects.
- The word "equip" only applies to items. There are currently no plans to include summoning items into a player's inventory or character slots. It may however be possible to change the appearance and damage type/data of a weapon through the use of a spell.
- There are summoned weapons that appear as a spell VFX to damage opponents for a period of time. These will not be able to be wielded, since weilding implies an item in a character equipment slot.
- Video, 2019-05-28 (3:40).
- Livestream, 2017-06-30 (27:05).
- Livestream, 2017-05-24 (14:15).
- Livestream, 2018-05-04 (33:56).
- Video, 2020-03-23 (0:41).
- Livestream, 2017-07-28 (45:21).
- Livestream, 2018-05-04 (33:27).
- Livestream, 2017-05-24 (18:40).
- Livestream, 2017-12-15 (59:49).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (49:25).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (54:29).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (49:35).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (53:59).
- Livestream, 2017-11-17 (22:33).
- Livestream, 2021-06-25 (1:33:58).
- Livestream, 2021-07-30 (1:16:05).
- Livestream, 2020-01-30 (1:28:40).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (1:07:51).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (49:18).
- Interview, 2020-07-29 (55:44).
- Livestream, 2020-02-28 (1:10:21).
- Livestream, 2021-04-30 (53:08).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (57:42).
- Livestream, 2018-01-18 (22:46).
- Livestream, 2020-08-28 (1:15:39).
- Livestream, 2021-06-25 (22:34).
- Livestream, 2017-11-16 (30:45).
- Livestream, 2021-06-25 (27:43).
- Livestream, 2020-04-30 (1:09:51).
- Interview, 2019-04-15 (38:03).
- Livestream, 2021-06-25 (27:10).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (59:21).
- Livestream, 2021-06-25 (26:11).
- Livestream, 2020-04-30 (40:19).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (37:57).
- Livestream, 2020-08-28 (1:12:50).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:07:59).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:11:05).
- Livestream, 2018-02-09 (47:05).
- Livestream, 2018-05-04 (45:37).
- Video, 2020-09-30 (2:44).
- Livestream, 2020-09-30 (47:47).
- Livestream, 2019-07-26 (54:06).
- Livestream, 2017-05-26 (44:11).
- Livestream, 2017-05-26 (20:46).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (53:43).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (55:17).
- Livestream, 2020-08-28 (1:15:02).
- Livestream, 2017-07-28 (24:54).
- Livestream, 2019-05-30 (1:09:13).
- Livestream, 2020-01-30 (49:08).
- Livestream, 2021-06-25 (21:56).
- Livestream, 2018-06-04 (19:48).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (16:32).
- Livestream, 2017-06-30 (47:14).
- Livestream, 2017-06-16 (40:06).
- Livestream, 2017-07-28 (33:36).
- Video, 2018-08-17 (0:01).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (1:03:45).
- Livestream, 2019-05-30 (1:15:58).
- Livestream, 2017-07-28 (34:32).
- Podcast, 2020-11-15 (22:22).
- Livestream, 2017-06-16 (43:01).
- Interview, 2018-08-17 (17:57).
- Livestream, 2019-05-30 (58:28).
- Livestream, 2018-06-04 (1:11:19).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 2021-06-25 (1:29:39).
- Livestream, 2018-06-04 (21:37).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (1:15:57).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (14:22).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (16:34).
- Interview, 2020-07-29 (15:04).
- Livestream, 2017-05-05 (20:41).
- Livestream, 2017-05-17 (58:55).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (2:53:52).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (1:00:15).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (8:43).
- Interview, 2020-07-20 (21:57).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (55:49).
- Livestream, 2020-07-25 (46:08).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (1:02:06).
- Livestream, 2017-05-19 (44:18).
- Livestream, 2017-05-15 (38:08).
- Livestream, 2018-07-09 (25:34).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (48:39).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (1:02:08).
- Livestream, 2017-11-17 (56:07).
- Livestream, 2021-04-30 (41:18).
- Livestream, 2020-05-29 (1:33:11).
- Livestream, 2020-05-29 (50:20).
- Livestream, 2017-05-26 (19:51).
- Reddit Q&A, 8 January 2019.
- Livestream, 2017-07-18 (54:56).
- Livestream, 2017-07-28 (9:47).
- Livestream, 2020-10-30 (1:13:22).
- Livestream, 2017-09-03 (48:56).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (1:05:22).
- Livestream, 2017-05-24 (24:19).
- Interview, 2018-08-24 (5:28).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (57:50).
- Livestream, 2018-02-09 (50:29).
- Livestream, 2020-07-25 (54:10).
- Livestream, 2019-11-22 (1:08:05).
- May The 4th, Be With You... And also some skins.