- Each processing profession has four processing stations that unlock as players progress.
- Processing involves the refining of raw materials obtained from gathering and item deconstruction.
- The bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch. The processing time varies based on the quality of the processed goods.
- Some processing can be carried out in nodes, but the best processing can only be carried out on freeholds at processing stations.
- The intent is that there are also public spaces where animal husbandry and farming can be utilized... Those systems provide opportunities for players who might be more solo-oriented, aren't a part of a family, don't think they'll be able to acquire a freehold, but still want to participate with those particular particular types of professions. But they may not do it at a mastery level as a result; but they'll still have access to lower-tier versions of that so that they can progress through that particular profession up to a degree. – Steven Sharif
- Choosing a specific path in the skill tree allows the player an opportunity to specialize in a certain area. This encourages player inter-dependency, enhancing the artisan experience.
- When we reference not being masters of all that doesn't mean you're not a master within your own one of the three artisan types, which is crafter or gatherer, processor. You will be a master of one of those, you will not be master of the other two. – Steven Sharif
- The developers have referred to the following proficiency tiers of artisan progression.
- Progression within artisan classes does not directly relate to progression in a character's adventuring class, but there are requirements that take into account dangers, locations, toolsets, and surveying options that are level dependent.
- Q: In regards to character level and artisan level. We know that currently there are two separate things. That being said, what prevents a player from staying level one and partying up with a level 50 player to then gather level 50 resources in the high zones? That way, anyone who wants to take those resources will have to kill the gatherer who is level one and get a large amount of corruption for killing a level one as a level 50.
- A: Gathering higher level resources requires significant advancement within a particular profession for that gatherable resource. So, if I'm a Miner and I want to access the highest possible mineral, I need to be a master miner; and in order to achieve the master minor status I am going to be gaining adventuring level experience through that process, because many of those quest lines, many of those achievements are facilitated through quest lines. Some of those quest lines interface with adventuring difficulties that are out in the wild at certain levels. So that's going to predicate me- that's going to be a predicate for me to achieve a certain level in order to complete some of these quest lines and achieve that master status. So you will you will likely not see the ability of a level one alt character having the access to high level mineral mining, or any other type of gatherable out there. – Steven Sharif
- That character may then master up to two professions within this mastered path (subject to testing).
- A character will be able to achieve up to tier 3 or tier 4 proficiency in professions that are not mastered.
- Players will have the opportunity to dabble in all of the professions at a very beginners level and then that gives them an understanding of what that profession feels like and then allows them to pinpoint the direction that they want to go in to master particular professions. – Steven Sharif
- Based on testing, it may be decided to limit profession mastery certificates to a capped value.
- Becoming a master Crafter or a master Processor or a master Gatherer should be a significant time investment and resource investment; and because of that it should also be something that when you achieve that status it's like people on the server know who you are. – Steven Sharif
- Masteries aren’t just about making an item. They grant many things, including titles, access to items, bargains, and quests. 
- Previously it was stated that with considerable effort a player can master all professions within a mastered parent artisan class. This was later changed to a player being able to master some but not all professions within a mastered parent artisan class. This was changed to being able to master up to two or three professions within a mastered parent artisan class (subject to testing). The current stance is being able to master up to two professions.
- Q: What would be the daily activities for someone at level 50 with a maxed out artisan tree?
- A: The daily activity might be something along the lines of, depending on what type of profession or processor you are, of interacting with fellow artisanship individuals to wheel and deal on supply and demand chains; orchestrating and participating and caravan roads that move materials across the world so that you can satisfy buy orders and/or commission requests. Participating in unique trades and/or dungeon experiences that have the opportunity to acquire unique crafting materials so that you can create the dragon's legendary sword and sell that potentially. Finding unique harvestable materials in remote parts of the world or engaging in treasure map finding for again unique materials and/or processing things. There's a whole host of different intents that are loops for the players to participate in that again are situationally relevant based on the world state. – Steven Sharif
- Artisan buildings are required to be placed on freehold plots to unlock placement of processing stations.
- Each processing profession will have four stations; and the stations will come online as you progress through the profession. Each one of those stations will make goods that are immediately useful to the economy, to crafters, to other processors; and each processing station will build on itself and into the other stations. – Kory Rice
- Processing stations require fuel to process the required grade of materials.
- Processing as it stands for Alpha-2's implementation is that there is a certain amount of prep work that's required first for the industry-specific component, which is the building. That prep work might be finding a certain amount of lumber to light the fire in kiln or whatever, to a certain temperature in order for you to process a certain grade of ore; and that grade of ore being malleable then into an ingot; and that produces that ingot so-to-speak. Now, in that process there's a gathering component, there's a preparatory phase, there is a time-related component. – Steven Sharif
- The amount of goods that can be processed while unattended by the player is based on the rating of that particular processing station.
- The time spent processing can be reduced by upgrading the capabilities and quality of the processing station via a progression tier system.
- That's going to be very important as you get to very late game processed materials that are required. Because some of these things might have days to process within a station, but if you have spent the time and done the work to advance that processing station you could cut that down considerably, perhaps even greater than 50 percent; and that's going to have a significant impact on your ability to either control markets or to create goods. – Steven Sharif
- There will also be time-related and gameplay elements that require the player to interact with the processing building. These elements act to throttle the introduction of processed materials from raw gatherables into the economy.
- There's also possibilities that the machine you're using itself has some type of gameplay layer- should the kiln get overheated, and you have to throw some water on it or something. There are elements there in that process that we want to mimic this gameplay opportunity for players to interact; and not just be a time-sink. But time-sink is also a component of it as well, because that's the throttle for the introduction of processed materials from raw gatherables into the economy. – Steven Sharif
- Processing stations are distinct from crafting workstations that are used to craft finished goods.
- The developers are considering a decay system for processing stations similar to item decay for gear.
- Q: Do processing stations wear out over time? Do they have to be repaired?
- A: That's something that we're still discussing internally. It is coded in such a way where it's an easy variable for us to change that. There are material components that are necessary to feed the machines to keep them up and running, or it could be based on how you interact with the fuel components. If you overheat- overcharge with fuel, that can create like a system degrade similar to your armor decay, which then you have to feed materials in order to rebuild maintenance-wise. Right now it is not implemented. With that in mind, the only maintenance required is going to be through taxation. And depending on the number of permits that you have placed on the freehold will increase the amount of taxes that are necessary to be paid for the freehold. – Steven Sharif
List of processing stations
- You want to take advantage of the limited time you have during the story arcs to get some of these rare resources for crafting things. – Jeremy Gess
- The location the resource was found can affect the benefits, bonuses, and other characteristics of that resource.
- Players drop resources and other items upon death, based on their applicable death penalties.
- Resources will not expire or degrade over time.
- We don't want to create an environment I feel where you're having to micromanage each of the resources that are very vast in our game. We have 100 plus material system where you're having to play whack-a-mole with managing those things... I don't see the value in it. – Steven Sharif
- Raw materials (gatherable resources) are not to be confused with crafting materials (processed goods).
- Gatherers who are more advanced in their artisan tree will unlock higher level harvesting tools that have a greater chance of collecting higher quality resources or proccing a greater quantity.
You will have an opportunity to proc certain qualities based on your progression in the Artisan tree. So if you are a gatherer; and as you advance in your gathering, you'll have a higher opportunity to collect better resources. – Steven Sharif
Materials (also known as processed goods and crafting materials) are obtained in the following ways:
List of processed goods (crafting materials)
Many end level items with crafting will require mats from world bosses etc. we want those systems intertwined. However. There may be opportunities to deconstruct high level items and replace those needed materials as well. We will be testing the crafting trees in alpha and beta. – Steven Sharif
- Artisan gear may be able to be equipped in an undergarment slot that can be toggled between adventuring gear and artisan gear.
- The developers are planning to have artisan gear sets available for Alpha-2.
- Gathering tools and artisan gear have stats that affect gathering rates and yields.
- Gear for artisans are going to live alongside your adventuring gear. So you will currently- the approaches, and we'll test this but currently- the approach is you'll have artisanship oriented gear. This might be beneficial for your gathering; it might be beneficial for your processing, or crafting, or whatever it is- your profession. Essentially you will craft that gear, you will equip that gear, it'll live almost as a undergarment slot so to speak; and then you can activate that and it will show the appearance if you wish during the activation when you gain the benefit from the from the gear itself; and then could disappear afterwards and go back to your adventuring gear. That's the current approach. We're going to play with that a little bit. There's some discussion and disagreement on the team about how we do that, but our hopes are for Alpha two, we will have I think a couple of sets at least. We're demonstrating all of the artisanship from gathering to processing to crafting in limited fashion in Alpha 2 want to have that gear present to play with this approach.
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ashes of Creation must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Processing profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
- Many of the visible resources (such as Trees and Ore) in the open world are gatherable.
- The exact type of resource present within a resource node is not known until the node is harvested.
- There's a bunch of different things in Ashes that will be gatherable. We have plants and trees and rocks and fish and animals and creatures that can be tamed; and we're thinking to reach the visual fidelity bar and to have things a little bit more rooted in what we know is that it wouldn't really make sense for you to just see gold all over the world in the same way that you would plants and trees; so we wanted to get feedback on what players think about some of the different gatherable types having different things that you would have to know and expect from them. So rocks are a good example of this, where you can see a rock but until you crack that thing open you don't know if it's full of stone, crystals, rubies, gold. So we wanted to try that out with some of our gatherables to have players have to open this thing up- and that's not to say that we players won't stumble on a nice load, or vein, or geode of gold, but most of the stuff that they would they would find to the world, unless they they look hard enough, would require them to crack that stone open. – Kory Rice
- Gathering requires the creation and use of tools.
- Surveying plays a key role in helping gatherers identify resources in particular locations.
- Gathering within a node's Zone of influence (ZOI) will contribute to its experience growth.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting. So for example if I'm gathering... leaves of the blue petal flower to craft a pigment that's going to be used in the development of a tunic that I can wear at level one, then I may need to collect those in order to craft the pigments to craft a greater pigment that might be present in the in the crafting of a higher level item. So it's going to be a tiered progression so that materials have relevancy throughout the different levels of of crafting; and that's important from an economic stability standpoint. You need to have layered demand from a supply standpoint so that players who are interested in collecting and gathering those materials still are relevant when the later level items are crafted. – Steven Sharif
- Anything that you want to bring into existence in the world is going to be built by players: Whether that is Ships, Siege engines, Weapons, Armor, etc. – Jeffrey Bard
- Crafting requires the acquisition of recipes in order to craft items.
- Crafting stations are located on freeholds or within nodes.
- Artisan gear will enable crafting of stronger items.
- Crafting times may vary between professions but the bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch.
- The developers will be seeking testing feedback on the addition of a gameplay layer to crafting that determines the outcome based on the player's performance.
- It's unlikely that crafting materials to craft all pieces of equipment will be able to be sourced solely by farming open-world dungeons.
- It's unlikely that organized parties will be able to get all of the materials they need to craft every piece of equipment from farming open world dungeons alone. – Cody Peterson
- There is no labor or energy system in Ashes. However, that's not to say that crafting will not be difficult. Crafting is very difficult; but it is because it is difficult that it will be very rewarding as well. – Steven Sharif
- Crafting honestly will not come online in any sense of its true form until Alpha-2. Alpha-1 has essentially what are intended to be the core gameplay loop of crafting, meaning the collection of materials, the translation of those materials into processed goods, and the use of those processed goods into item acquisition. That's the core gameplay loop that is currently present in Alpha-1. But those are mostly facilitated piggy backing the merchant systems right now and not actually using the real crafting system; and that's because crafting hasn't been completed in a form that can be implemented in Alpha-1, but will be for Alpha-2. What's present in Alpha-1 doesn't even really scratch the surface for crafting. – Steven Sharif
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-05 (34:15).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-06-30 (33:26).
- Development Update with Freehold Preview.
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (40:20).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-04-07 (31:49).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-06-30 (1:08:02).
- Video, 2023-06-30 (16:02).
- Wywiad, 2023-07-09 (51:26).
- Wywiad, 2021-02-07 (36:38).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-10 (6:12).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2019-07-26 (1:09:46).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-06-30 (50:07).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-04-07 (1:00:55).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-10-28 (1:32:38).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-07-31 (1:31:11).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-04-29 (1:13:00).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-24 (32:07).
- Wywiad, 2020-03-27 (5:25).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-20 (18:47).
- Wywiad, 2023-07-09 (42:51).
- Blog: Exploring the Boundless Opportunities of Freeholds.
- Video, 2023-06-30 (15:34).
- Wywiad, 2023-07-09 (33:55).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-06-30 (37:30).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-06-30 (38:18).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-02-25 (1:12:27).
- Wywiad, 2023-07-09 (54:46).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-09-03 (10:48).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-08 (54:26).
- Video, 2023-03-31 (16:42).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-04-28 (1:24:36).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-07-31 (1:05:58).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-07-25 (1:04:50).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, 2017-05-05 (43:05).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-18 (27:11).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2023-03-31 (1:19:26).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-10 (8:22).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-11-17 (53:28).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-04-30 (53:11).
- Wywiad, 2018-10-20 (2:13).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-07-30 (1:16:05).
- Wywiad, 2018-10-20 (17:31).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-06-30 (1:17:34).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (1:06:50).
- Video, 2023-06-30 (3:14).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (26:14).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-20 (20:17).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-08 (20:41).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-07-18 (38:30).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-26 (26:00).
- Wywiad, 2018-05-11 (24:18).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (0:47).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (12:31).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (9:19).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-07-30 (1:11:58).
- Wywiad, 2020-03-27 (9:00).
- Wywiad, 2018-05-11 (38:25).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (10:52).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-04-29 (25:16).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (1:00:07).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-24 (17:08).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2020-01-30 (1:38:26).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-12 (1:00:18).
- Wywiad, 2020-07-19 (6:38).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2022-10-14 (35:22).
- Forums - Livestream Q&A 2022-08-26.
- Wywiad, 2018-10-20 (2:31:39).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (42:28).
- Wywiad, 2021-02-07 (35:30).
- Transmisja na żywo, 2021-04-30 (41:18).