|Pre‑alpha||Alpha-0.||December 15, 2017.|
|APOC||Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale stress test (NDA).||September 7, 2018.|
|Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale stress test (NDA lifted).||October 19, 2018.|
|Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale open beta.||December 18, 2018.|
|Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale early access.||September 24, 2019.|
|Ashes of Creation Apocalypse castle siege mode PI closed testing.||December 19, 2019.|
|Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale testing ends.||March 10, 2020.|
|Ashes of Creation Apocalypse castle siege mode.||After Alpha-1.|
|Ashes of Creation Apocalypse horde mode.||After Alpha-1.|
|Alpha||Alpha-1 early preview livestream.||March 27, 2020.|
|Alpha-1 limited QA testing (NDA).||May 28, 2020.|
|Alpha-1 preview pre-test 1 (NDA).||Dec 18 - Dec 21 2020.|
|Alpha-1 preview pre-test 2 (NDA).||Feb 19 - Feb 22 2021.|
|Alpha-1 preview intermittent spot testing (NDA).||Mar 19 - Jul 9 2021.|
|Alpha-1 preview weekend (no NDA).||July 9 - July 11 2021.|
|Alpha-1 (no NDA).||July 14 - August 13 2021.|
|Alpha-1 intermittent spot testing.||After August 13 2021.|
|Alpha-2 (persistent alpha).||To be announced.|
|Beta||Beta-1.||To be announced.|
|Beta-2.||To be announced.|
|Pre‑release||Head start for crowdfunding backers at the Founder level and above.||1-2 days before launch.|
|Release||Launch (live) release.||To be announced.|
|Post‑launch||Major releases (DLC expansions).||Quarterly or six-monthly.|
- Alpha-0 was the invite-only "raffle" friends and family alpha test phase.
- Alpha-1, Alpha-2, Beta-1, and Beta-2 were available for purchase during the Kickstarter and Summer crowdfunding campaigns.
- Alpha-1 was available in the Intrepid pre-order pack and is currently available in the Adventurer pre-order pack from the cosmetic store.
- Alpha-2 and Beta-2 were available during PAX West 2017.
- Alpha-1, Alpha-2, Beta-1, and Beta-2 are currently available in Pre-order packs on the cosmetic store.
Ashes of Creation
Ashes of Creation is a unique take on the MMO experience. Our world structure is dynamic and built to react to the actions of our players. Cities will rise and fall, their populations based on the history of the world as the players create it. Quests will unlock as these populations gather, their needs grow, and secrets are unlocked. As the world’s NPC structure is established in real time, players will have the ability to destroy what they’ve created, paving the way for new development, new populations, and real change. Political strife and intrigue will play a very real role in the structure of your world. Gone are the days of static worlds, change is here to stay.
- Hybrid action/tab combat.
The weapon attack is an important component of the combat system, so we want to make sure that as we're doing this combat revamp that we are essentially taking into consideration player feedback and sentiment about how they want a reactive and more mobile weapon attack system. – Steven Sharif
- Progression to level 15.
- The composition of class skills or archetype skills has to tread a fine line between two roads: One we wanted to be representative of skills not just that would traditionally be found 1 through 15 but we're actually introducing some skills that might be found later, because we want to test those particular ideas and how the skill functions. – Steven Sharif
- 4 playable races.
- A lot of times people ask well why haven't we seen the other races and stuff? We want to establish the quality bar and process with these races first and then when we move into further content production for the other races we have have those pipelines in place and we have the processes in place and we know how to approach them.
- Cleric, Mage and Tank archetypes.
- The Alpha-1 map (Alpha island) consists of a mainland area and several islands. It will be almost 100 km2 in size.
- Node advancement to Village (stage 3).
- The economy present in Alpha-1 is not reflective of the final state of the game.
- We have an economy but it's not really going to be reflective of the final how the economy is going to work. It'll work for alpha one and there'll be plenty of things to trade and buy and exchange, but it's not going to be really super representative what the final state is. So keep that in mind as well it's a stubbed-in system. It's not a complete or really finalized system at all. – Jeffrey Bard
- Approximately 10 percent of the artisan system.
- The core basics of the artisan gameplay loop is facilitated via the merchant (NPC) system.
- Gathering, Processing, Crafting is expected to come online in Alpha-2 and the Betas.
- Previously this was targeted for Alpha-1.
- Alpha-1 castle sieges and Castles are in a zone accessible via a NPC teleporter.
- Approximately 49 unique gear sets.
- There is no instancing in Alpha-1.
- Ships for "island hopping".
Alpha 2 is intended to have pretty much every core system in place to some degree or another... You're going to start seeing systems flesh out a little bit more. That's when you're going to start seeing those systems appear in a little bit more of a polished state. – Steven Sharif
- Tulnar race.
- Artisan classes will be fully implemented.
- Secondary classes.
- Emblem, logo and symbol editor (tentatively).
- Family summon mechanic.
The game should be pretty much done (at beta stage) and final polish and stuff like that being put in. We don't want people to get totally burnt out on the game before we actually release. So once we get to the beta phases it should be short and sweet. – Jeffrey Bard
- Head start is a means to gradually ramp up the population to avoid player concurrency issues at launch.
- Head start will also be a way to address any last-minute launch or deployment issues.
The point of head start is twofold: One for testing, making sure that the live launch servers pre-wipe are good; and then Two, it's a way to stagger the population move into the game. Because if you have servers with 10,000 concurrent player capability and you have everyone logging in at the exact same time, that is a problem I've never seen an MMO tackle successfully, ever. – Steven Sharif
- During the head start, the node system will be deactivated.
- Head start specific servers are also planned.
- It will not be possible to secure player housing during the headstart period due to the deactivation of the node system.
Head start was not a mistake, I tend to listen to my development team with regards to their vast past experiences in mmo launches and development. Advice from engineering on head starts was they are extremely desired in order to test any last minute launch/deployment issues that “always” happen. So I did as much as possible to mitigate the potential p2w elements/issues while still adhering to sound development principles. Including designating which servers are head start servers. So wanna make sure we don’t “chop” this one as a mistake or misstep. Everything done is done to ensure a quality launch/product. – Steven Sharif
- Alpha-1, Alpha-2, Beta-1, Beta-2 releases are not covered by NDA (non-disclosure agreement).
- Alpha-1 testing prior to the full release of Alpha-1 was covered by NDA.
- NDA review and acceptance is done via the game client.
- The text and voice NDA was lifted from the PI QA testing phase on May 28, 2020.
- The verbal NDA was lifted from Alpha-1 preview testing, and future testing, on May 17, 2021.
- The NDA was lifted on July 9, 2021 for the three day Alpha-1 preview weekend test.
- The NDA was lifted on July 14, 2021 for Alpha-1.
We are extremely excited to invite folks to this glorious milestone of our development journey with NO NDA as we want everyone to be able to provide feedback unfiltered. During Alpha One testing, we'll be looking for your feedback specifically on the following things: download and installation process, client performance, and server performance.
- Alpha-1 testing phases will include full wipes.
- Servers may also be wiped between individual tests, unless the developers require progression to be saved for certain spot tests.
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse will be implemented side-by-side with the Ashes of Creation MMORPG.
- 6.25 km2 map size.
- A Character creator will be available to allow creation and saving of characters for use in the MMORPG.
- Establish Player housing and save Furniture arrangements for use in the full game.
|December 2015||First team members were hired.|
|February 2016||Ashes of Creation design documentation and prototyping.|
|December 10, 2016||Official website was launched and project announced.|
|January 18, 2017||Official discord was launched.|
|May 2, 2017||Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign launched with $750,000 funding goal.|
|June 3, 2017||Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign completed with 19,576 backers raising $3,271,809.|
|June 2017||Game production began with a team size of 15-20.|
|June 21, 2017||Summer crowdfunding campaign launched.|
|July 22, 2017||Summer crowdfunding campaign completed with 2,485 backers.|
|September 1, 2017||PAX West 2017.|
|November 4, 2017||Raised $16,500 for Extra Life children's hospitals.|
|December 15, 2017||Alpha-0 released on schedule.|
|March 19-23, 2018||Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2018.|
|April 5, 2018||PAX East 2018.|
|August 15, 2018||Last day for purchases of Alpha-1 through Intrepid pre-order packs.|
|August 20, 2018||At Gamescom with My.com.|
|August 27, 2018||100 developers working on Ashes of Creation.|
|September 1, 2018||PAX West 2018 panel.|
|October 19, 2018||Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale (previously called Alpha-1 phase 1 battlegrounds).|
|November 4, 2018||Raised $20,518 for Rady Children's hospital with Extra Life.|
|April 15, 2019||60 developers working on Ashes of Creation at San Diego offices (following disengagement with Malaysian art team).|
|November 3, 2019||Raised $20,901 for Rady Children's hospital with Extra Life.|
|August 21, 2020||Announced a mutual parting of ways with publisher My.games.|
|October 17, 2020||Almost 3,000,000 registered accounts for Ashes of Creation.|
|October 17, 2020||~87 developers working on Ashes of Creation.|
|November 8, 2020||Raised $88,546 for Rady Children's hospital with Extra Life.|
|February 26, 2021||Official ashesofcreation.com website redesign.|
|May 5, 2021||Alpha-1 sales resumed with the announcement of the Adventurer pre-order pack.|
|May 17, 2021||Verbal NDA was lifted from Alpha-1 testing.|
|July 9, 2021||Alpha-1 no-NDA preview weekend began on schedule.|
|July 11, 2021||Alpha-1 no-NDA preview weekend completed on schedule.|
|July 14, 2021||Alpha-1 no-NDA began on schedule.|
- Kickstarter's most funded MMORPG.
- Kickstarter's #7 most funded video game.
- Most anticipated MMO – MMORPG.com's Best of 2017 Awards.
- Most anticipated early access hands-on MMORPG – MMOs World.
- Gamescom 2018: Best Independent game.
- Gamescom 2018: Best Online game.
- Best indie MMO of 2020 – massivelyop.com reader's poll.
- Most anticipated MMO of 2021 and beyond – massivelyop.com reader's poll.
- Forbes: Top 10 Best Upcoming New MMORPGs For 2021 And Beyond.
- Guide to Alpha One.
- Livestream, 2018-01-18 (2:48).
- Livestream, 2018-09-01 (54:06).
- Press release - Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Launches December 18.
- Blog: Ashes of Creation Apocalypse heads into early access.
- @AoCApocalypse on Twitter.
- Livestream, 2019-12-17 (18:33).
- Blog: Early Access for Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Battle Royale Testing Ends.
- March 2020 newsletter.
- Video, 2020-03-23 (0:01).
- Creative Director's Letter, 1 April 2020.
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter, October 16 2020
- Livestream, 2021-02-26 (14:58).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter, January 2021.
- Alpha One Schedule Update, May 10 2021.
- An Update on Alpha One Schedule, March 12 2021
- Ashes of Creation Twitter - Alpha-1 Preview Weekend Begins
- Livestream, 2021-07-30 (20:30).
- Livestream, 2018-01-18 (25:22).
- Livestream, 2019-03-08 (57:26).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (21:57).
- Livestream, 2017-05-08 (11:14).
- Kickstarter packages.
- MMOGAMES Interview, 8 September 2017.
- Intrepid pre-order pack.
- PAX West 2017 Alpha package.
- PAX West 2017 Beta package.
- Ashes of Creation cosmetic store.
- Livestream, 2021-01-29 (46:48).
- Ashes of Creation MMO.
- A reactive world - Nodes.
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (46:44).
- Video, 2021-07-14 (0:01).
- Livestream, 2020-10-30 (15:35).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (40:19).
- Livestream, 2020-03-28 (54:48).
- Video, 2018-04-05 (1:01:40).
- Livestream, 2021-05-28 (1:14:50).
- Video, 2021-02-26 (6:17).
- Livestream, 2021-05-28 (1:13:05).
- Livestream, 2021-04-30 (41:18).
- Interview, 2021-06-13 (31:24).
- Livestream, 2021-05-28 (1:48:14).
- Interview, 2020-10-17 (53:50).
- Livestream, 2020-03-28 (1:41:11).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (12:38).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (22:43).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (44:30).
- Livestream, 2018-09-01 (1:02:99).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (37:16).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (43:55).
- Interview, 2018-08-08 (19:02).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (42:28).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (35:30).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (59:25).
- Video, 2021-04-30 (13:02).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter, April 14 2021
- Livestream, 2020-10-30 (20:40).
- Livestream, 2020-08-28 (1:29:17).
- Livestream, 2020-01-30 (35:12).
- Livestream, 2021-03-26 (39:08).
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (24:51).
- Livestream, 2019-07-26 (1:10:44).
- Livestream, 2021-06-25 (29:09).
- Interview, 2018-08-08 (18:55).
- Livestream, 2021-07-30 (42:11).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (2:17).
- Livestream, 2018-09-27 (54:02).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (0:00).
- Livestream, 2018-10-31 (47:44).
- Livestream, 2018-10-31 (57:22).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (6:39).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (2:00:05).
- Interview, 2018-08-08 (25:53).
- Livestream, 2018-01-18 (49:26).
- Livestream, 2020-05-29 (31:37).
- Interview, 2018-08-24 (12:18).
- Livestream, 2017-11-17 (28:50).
- Alpha one test schedule, Mar 12, 2021.
- Livestream, 2020-11-30 (7:27).
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse official site.
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Early Access.
- Video, 2019-09-24 (0:10).
- Livestream, 2018-10-31 (35:00).
- Livestream, 2018-10-31 (38:47).
- Interview, 2018-08-24 (13:17).
- Livestream, 2018-08-17 (30:29).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:07:59).
- Livestream, 2018-09-01 (1:05:10).
- Livestream, 2018-09-27 (9:08).
- MASSIVELY OP interview: Ashes of Creation on a new way to MMO.
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter campaign
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter.
- PAX West 2017 Schedule.
- PAX West 2017 Map.
- Intrepid Studios Dev Team.
- Ashes of Creation Gamescom 2018 Interview: Responding to Criticism.
- Intrepid Studios Extra Life 2018 (@MediaAoC).
- Interview, 2019-04-15 (5:09).
- Blog: New Adventure Awaits.
- Interview, 2020-10-17 (18:36).
- Interview, 2020-10-17 (56:55).
- Livestream, 2021-02-26 (9:51).
- Ashes of Creation Store: May cosmetics.
- MMORPG.com's Best of 2017 Awards.
- Most Anticipated MMORPGs For 2018.
- DualShockers’ Gamescom 2018 Awards
- MassivelyOP 2020 awards reader's poll.
- MassivelyOP reader's poll.
- Forbes: Top 10 Best Upcoming New MMORPGs For 2021 And Beyond