Ashes of Creation will be a seamless open-world experience.
There will be an approximately 80/20 split between open world vs instanced encounters.
- Castle and node sieges may contain instanced locations where specific groups can participate in certain objective-based waypoints.
- Dungeons and raids will maintain an open world feel while also capitalizing on the benefits of instanced mechanics.
- There will be some open dungeons that have bosses at the end of the dungeons. There will be some open dungeons that just have a multitude of dungeon bosses, not necessarily world raids or something; and there will be lots of different rooms and they'll be progressive in the sense that in the earlier parts of the dungeon they'll be lower level and then at the later parts of the dungeons deeper down they'll be higher level and more difficult; and that creates again I think an ecosystem of where players across a multitude of levels have an opportunity to coexist within certain areas of the world; and that's good from a social dynamic. It's good from a recruitment dynamic. It's good from just a liveliness and relevance of particular areas. So that you don't end up with these locations that once you pass a certain level like it's empty. – Steven Sharif
We're probably going to do instancing only in certain dungeons and in arenas. You probably won't see instancing too much anywhere else. What you see is gonna be what you get. – Jeffrey Bard
The PvP flagging system presents an opportunity for open conflict.
- Q: When you reach the bosses in [open world] dungeons can you be jumped?
- A: For the most part if there are bosses at the end of dungeons, it is possible for you to get jumped. – Steven Sharif
The majority of players will experience PvP through opt-in objective-based battlegrounds. These are high risk and high reward encounters that do not utilize the corruption system.
- The majority of PvP that players will encounter- the vast majority- will be through consensual systems, meaning opt-in systems like sieges, like caravans, like wars, or going out into the open sea. These are conscious decisions that players will make knowing the risk profile- assessing that- and they will opt-in to those things.. – Steven Sharif
- These events will flag participating players as Combatants (purple) and players will remain flagged for a period of time after leaving that battleground. Corrupted (red) players will remain red during PvP events.
- Death penalties (mostly) do not apply to objective-based events (also called sanctioned events).
- Gear degradation applies on death during Caravan PvP.
- In a sanctioned event- sanctioned meaning that this is something you have the option to opt-out of. That's a castle siege, that's a node siege, that's a caravan, that's a guild war, that's a node war. You can drop your citizenship. You can drop your guild tag. You can drop participating in one of those things. In any of those types of opt-in and opt-out events, the death penalties do not exist. These are sanctioned. They're intended to allow people to engage in PvP. Now if I die to an NPC while I'm out hunting, or if I die to another player through the flagging system, those are where death penalties come into play; and that's where debt experience can be earned; and that's where corruption can be had. So it's important to separate those two realms. – Steven Sharif
- Outside of these events, normal PvP flagging and corruption rules apply.
- During PvP events such as caravans, guild wars, and sieges, the death penalties are disabled between participating characters on opposing sides. Attacking and killing players on the opposing side doesn't trigger the purple and red flags, nor does dying drop any resources or loot. However, you can't hide in this state as a Red corrupted player either. If you are Red, you'll still be Red in the siege or caravan and open to anyone to kill you and drop your loot, regardless of the side you are on. Being Red trumps everything.
- There will be limited functionality for spectating battlefields and potentially castle sieges from ghost cameras at fixed positions.
- We will have limited functionality where players can spectate from either ghost camera from fixed positions at certain battlefields; some of which might include castles.
- Open-world skirmishes may lead into sieges or other battles.
- Our castle system, our sieges against nodes, the caravan system, battlegrounds that exist, guild wars: We want there to be a meaning to this conflict. We want players to actually have some skin in the game when it comes to participating in PvP. – Steven Sharif
Hunting grounds are open-world PvP corruption-enabled areas that encompass most of the map.
- Hunting grounds refer to killing monsters or NPCs in the open-world.
- This also refers to contesting resources.
One of the interesting components of Ashes of Creation and our flagging system is that it presents the potential for two conflicting parties to have open conflict in the open world over pretty much anything that they may want or disagree with; and if that pertains to a hunting ground, not just the caravan or the castles or the nodes or whatever, it can exist in that area. – Steven Sharif
Outside of PvP for certain things like caravans, sieges of nodes and/or castles is that you're going to have those open-world hunting ground fights that may occur. You're going to have resources fights that may occur. You're going to have political fights that may occur between members of guilds; and we're taking the guild politics to a whole new direction in regards to playing those conflicts out. – Steven Sharif
Our PvP mechanics follow a flagging system, as well as static PvP zones at certain points of interest; fight for control over cities, castles, caravans, or hunting grounds. Our PvP is designed to offer the players a well-balanced and fair world to shape through the pen, or sword should they choose.
There are approximately 18 biomes (environments) in Ashes of Creation.
We just wanted to represent just about every biome type under the sun really and just have enough diversity over the world that like when you went from area to area you know, you really just got a contrast of different biome types. – Michael Bacon
List of biomes
- Corrupted areas
- Flood plains
- Snowy mountains
- Volcano area
Points of interest
New points of interest (such as dungeons, world bosses, and corrupted areas) spawn as nodes develop. This content adapts to the node progression of the zone it is in.
- Additional buildings will spawn.
- Additional mobs will spawn.
- Different antagonists/leaders with different story lines.
- Populations will change.
- Content difficulty will change.
- The content may be different altogether.
- Additional quest hooks.
- Dungeons will be unlocked when certain nodes advance to certain stages.
- Drop tables in areas and dungeons will be tied into the progression of certain areas.
- POI events are events that relate to specific points-of-interest (POI).
- The location of points of interest will be the same on each server, but some servers may have limited or no access to them.
- Certain dungeons and other points of interest across the map will all be affected by the server’s node development. Some dungeons will only be unlocked if nodes are developed to certain stages. The storyline objectives for players inside dungeons will also be dependent on the story arc paths chosen through the node system. The drop tables in area and dungeons will also be tied into the progression of certain areas. For example, let’s say that the humans have developed a node in Region A, and a storyline has opened up that leads players to inspect the ruins (dungeon) of a nearby area. And let’s say that this node was developed in a scientific (crafting) zone… Well before the node developed, this dungeon was accessible… But now the dungeon has propagated new monster assets that include a drop table catering to a crafting emphasis because of the development of that scientific node. And perhaps, a new boss appears in different rooms of the dungeon that includes different adventure quest starts, like a mysterious item with a storyline that can only be progressed if a node develops to the metropolis stage in a certain region, across the world. Our system is so vast, when it comes to interconnectivity and how the world reacts to the players.
Corrupted areas (zones/points of interest) can dynamically evolve with the progression of nodes.
- Harbingers that exist on Verra as dungeons are where The Ancients are capable of pushing into the material plane. They can continue to do so under the guise of the effects of corruption as it spreads.
- These are sources of NPC events that players need to address before they grow out of hand.
- Players need to participate in these events to stop the spread of corruption and hold back the intrusion on the material plane.
- If players fail to address these corrupted areas, the frequency of NPC events against their node will increase. These can lead to node buildings and services being disabled, increasing the node's vulnerability to node sieges.
- It can be a very detrimental thing if corruption is not addressed; and that's the intent of corruption, is to present a challenge to the players that if not addressed it becomes exacerbated and a problem over time. – Steven Sharif
- Corrupted areas do not confer corruption onto a player.
There are certain things that can happen, such as the spawning of dragons or hordes of zombies that are going to come out and attack those installations, those nodes, those points of interest; and... communities that don't respond to those in an effective way might see the disabling of certain services, the reduction of certain quest lines for particular organizations. The idea is to keep this as part of a believable living response from world, so those can get pretty significant the bad effects that can happen for the community. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2020-04-30 (1:05:34).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Wywiad, 2020-07-19 (11:04).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-22 (20:59).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2020-03-28 (1:48:36).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2022-01-28 (17:50).
- ↑ Podcast, 2021-09-29 (34:11).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Podcast, 2021-09-29 (35:17).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-19 (24:17).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Types of Events on Verra.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 13.5 13.6 13.7 Transmisja na żywo, 2022-10-28 (24:28).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 Transmisja na żywo, 2022-04-29 (41:27).
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 15.4 Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-05 (14:26).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2017-05-19 (45:14).
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 17.4 MMOGames interview, January 2017
- ↑ 18.0 18.1
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3
- ↑ Podcast, 2021-04-11 (49:40).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2017-11-17 (45:19).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2022-08-26 (1:00:14).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2021-04-30 (1:06:41).
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 Transmisja na żywo, 2023-02-24 (1:29:45).
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 Transmisja na żywo, 2022-06-30 (1:14:52).
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Transmisja na żywo, 2021-08-27 (1:22:56).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2020-12-22 (1:13:51).
- ↑ Twitch Bustin - PvP Spectating.
- ↑ Video, 2017-04-30 (5:31).
- ↑ Twitter - What a glorious day for ganking!
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 Transmisja na żywo, 2018-07-09 (44:56).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2017-11-17 (45:17).
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 Transmisja na żywo, 2017-06-01 (35:42).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2021-09-24 (1:08:43).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2017-06-01 (29:33).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2021-06-25 (55:39).
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 Transmisja na żywo, 2021-01-29 (21:55).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2021-06-25 (53:15).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2021-05-28 (1:40:47).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2021-09-24 (29:33).
- ↑ 44.0 44.1 44.2 44.3 44.4 44.5 44.6 Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (50:33).
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 45.2 45.3 Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (22:53).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2017-11-17 (36:22).
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 47.2 47.3 47.4 Transmisja na żywo, 2017-11-17 (18:29).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2020-07-25 (46:08).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2022-04-29 (40:21).
- ↑ 53.0 53.1 53.2 Transmisja na żywo, 2021-03-26 (50:03).
- ↑ 54.0 54.1 Transmisja na żywo, 2020-11-08 (12:47).
- ↑ 55.0 55.1 Transmisja na żywo, 2021-06-25 (1:13:30).
- ↑ 56.0 56.1 Transmisja na żywo, 2022-01-28 (1:17:12).
- ↑ Transmisja na żywo, 2021-06-25 (1:32:24).